As American as Apple Pie . . . This blog is all about finding products that are made in the USA so that I can support this country that I am proud to call home.

Monday, October 14, 2013

More of my favorite things

To Karen, and any other random internet blog stalker :)

You asked for some opinions about what to register for, and well, I've got a few.  Your friends' responses to your question really got me thinking and I wanted to give you my opinion about some of their comments based on my experience.

Some of the things I already mentioned in my previous posts, but I might mention again in this context.  Also, this got me thinking about my own registry that I plan on making.  Since we already own pretty much everything we need, we aren't asking for gifts at our baby shower- we're recommending people bring a book if they want to bring something.  (BTW, if you want to come, we'd love to have you- ask Jamie, she's organizing!)  However, I am still creating a registry, because if you make a registry with Buy, Buy, Baby, anything that doesn't get purchased for you, you can go in and purchase for yourself at 20% off (or at least that was true 2 years ago.)  So, even though it's small stuff like new pacifiers, I might as well get 20% off, right?

Anyway, I'm kinda long winded (part of the reason I didn't just leave my responses on your FB post!)  So, without further ado, on to my opinions/advice! 

Receiving blankets- basically thin, lightweight blankets; can also be called swaddle blankets.  These are nice.  You can register for some.  Like clothes, people will buy you blankets regardless (probably.)  I didn't register for any but received (no pun intended) all that I needed, especially with a winter baby.

Diapers and wipes- yes of course you will need these.  As I mentioned previously, we haven't found any wipes we like as much as Whole Foods.  As far as diapers, we have used several brands.  A word on registering for them- I agree not to register for too many newborn size.  You can't be sure how big your baby will be and how long she will be in each size.  We have leftovers from every size from Walter- he grew fast!  Once he hit size 4, we started buying in bulk online.  Prior to that, he changed size too frequently.  The brand we use most is 7th Generation.  I love the idea of cloth diapering, but for us, it just wasn't a reality.  We travel way too much and I'm just not home enough to keep on top of the laundry that frequently.  I have read other blogs by moms who love it and say it's easy, and I admire them, but I just couldn't do it.

Grooming Kits- We did get one grooming kit, and it had pretty much everything we have needed.  We ended up with 2 nasal bulbs gifted to us, and we picked up 2 at the hospital, so we had plenty of those (and yes, you do need them!)  Our kit also had basics like comb, thermometer, and nail clippers.  I personally really like baby nail clippers and still use them.  Walter was born with long finger nails and we asked the nurse at the hospital to help b/c that is scary!  His little fingers were so tiny and we didn't want to essentially "quick" him, which would be more like cutting part of the tip of his finger!  But we got the hang of it.  Babies sleep a lot and this is the perfect time to work on those nails!  Haven't ever filed them.  Also, we didn't use the mittens to keep him from scratching himself.  He did scratch himself quite a bit, but he also loves playing with his hair and exploring with his hands, so we just couldn't cover them.  Also, when he's swaddled at night, his arms/hands are in the swaddle.

Bouncers- Anything to lay the baby in without having to lay her on the floor.  Motion can help with sleep.  One night when we were exhausted and just wanted "someone" else to rock the baby, JP ran to the store and splurged on the Mama Roo.  mamaRoo colorsIt was pretty expensive, and had more features than we used, but sometimes when you and your baby aren't getting any sleep, you buy whatever looks like the coolest thing in the store!  We did use it a lot.  We probably could have gotten a less expensive option, but we were very happy with our Mama Roo and now we get to use it again.

We were also given a swing, and liked putting him in this too.  Things with straps are nice.

Not a bouncer, but one of the most used things during Walter's first year (can't believe I forgot about it previously) is our Nap Nanny.  Love the Nap Nanny.  Oh my gosh!  I just googled it to put a picture and found out that it has been recalled and is no longer available.  Apparently, even the covers aren't available, which I was totally going to register for and recommend!  Well, hopefully someone will come out with something similar, because I love our Nap Nanny (and will still use it despite the recall.)  We have hundreds of pictures of baby Walter sleeping in his.  Basically, you need a place to set the baby down.  The Nap Nanny is nice because it has a straps to buckle the baby in and high sides so the dogs can lay next to him without actually touching him or being in his face.  The cover is removable and washable (I am bummed about not being able to register for a second one.)

Well, I am very bummed about Nap Nanny, but there is another one that I wanted to order online (but never did) and I might do that this time around.  I haven't tried it, but it looks nice.  It's called the Hoohobber baby rocker.  http://www.hoohobbers.com/baby_rocker.html

Swaddles- Yes!  I mentioned these before.  Register for a few different styles (with/without velcro) and try them to see which one you and hubby like best before stocking up on any one type.

Bottles- Breastfeeding or not, if you plan on ever spending any time away from baby, you will need bottles.  I believe we waited 6 weeks before introducing bottles and pacifiers to make sure breastfeeding was well established and avoid "nipple confusion."  It is nice to get the caps for the bottles for easier storage and transport.  I mentioned before that I used the Avent double pump with coordinating Avent bottles and storage containers.  I was very happy with the whole system.  I also used the containers that come with the Baby Bullet to store milk before he got to the age where we were making food.

A note about pumping.  I pumped from the very beginning.  I actually stored some of the colostrum (first milk) and fed it to him anytime we went on an airplane or went somewhere where he might need an immunity boost- there is no better immunity boost than colostrum (it's an awesome natural antibiotic!)  It may sound weird to pump before using bottles, but the more you feed/pump, the more your body will produce.  Also- warning possible TMI here- in the very beginning, taking a little off the top helped to make latching on easier for baby.

Another breastfeeding accessory that I used before and will use again: Milk Saver.  http://www.mymilkies.com/milksaver.  Again, this is kinda awkward to mention on the world wide web, but I found it useful and others might too.

And while we're on the subject, I will also recommend getting a bunch of nursing pads.  I wore these pretty much every day for the whole year to avoid any embarrassing, not-so-sexy, wet t-shirts.  Leaks happen.  Try a couple different brands.  I recommend organic cotton or bamboo.  And one more thing in this department: Earth Mama Nipple Butter: http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/breastfeeding-support/natural-nipple-butter.html

Back to the subject of bottles, I agree with the suggestion to go with smaller sizes.  We predominately used the 4 oz bottles for the first many, many months.  It wasn't till much later in the year that we started using 6-9 oz.  And we did get the bottle drying "grass."  I like it, but it's not essential.  Something you will need is a bottle cleaning sponge.  Despite washing in the dishwasher, we still did a lot of hand-washing of bottles. 

Baby carrier- yes!  Walter could be very fussy one minute, strap him to daddy's chest and boom, calm or even asleep!  He spent many hours strapped to daddy's chest (a nice break for mommy too!)  We also used this at events and things.  We got the Beco brand (I think Gemini model).  Worked great and lasted a long time before he outgrew it.  We also went to REI and got a nice back carrier for hiking.  The Deuter Kid Comfort III (I think.)  It has been awesome for hiking, and we have used it for other outings like going to the zoo.  It's expensive, but we did get ours on sale, and have loved it!  Actually, Walter hasn't outgrown it yet, so it lasts for a long time.

Pack 'n Play/Crib:  We bought a crib (see previous post.)  We were given a cradle.  We also got a used pack 'n play.  The first several months, the baby slept next to my side of the bed in his cradle.  He feeds every few hours so this is easiest.  Also, you're gonna want to check on your newborn constantly and it's nice to have him (her) right next to you.  When he started sleeping longer, we moved him into his crib in his own room.  You will still find you or your hubby going in to check on the baby (is he still breathing) and I don't think that ever stops (I still look at the monitor every once in a while.)  For us, this worked.  He now is so easy to put in his crib for nap and bedtime- he actually wants to go in there.  Moving him to his big boy bed once the new baby needs the crib might be a difficult adjustment.  He has a setup that he is used to and comfortable with.  We got him an aquarium which he can see from his crib, and we play the same lullaby CD every night (http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/rockabye-baby-lullaby-renditions-of-bob-marley-1180.html.)  He sleeps with the door shut (to keep the animals out) and we can have our door open now without worrying about those stories of cats suffocating the baby.  We use the pack 'n play at the grandparents (actually they each have their own) and for travel.  We never really used ours much at home (glad we got a used one.)  

Onesies- yup.  Shirts ride up when you spend all of your time lying down.  Onesies with snaps stay put so much better.  And yep, they will get pooped and peed on.  Never leave the house without an extra outfit!

Baby tub- Oh yeah, forgot about that!  Time to start taking things out of the attic!  Ours wasn't expensive.  It is pretty basic.  I think about $20 or so- got it at our shower.  It sits on the kitchen sink.  Here's a tip- in the beginning, it helps to lay a towel along the bottom to give extra grip.  I just googled to see if I could find the one we got, and I think this is it: http://www.albeebaby.com/safety1st-nature-next-bio-plastic-comfy-bath-center.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=safety1st-nature-next-bio-plastic-comfy-bath-center&utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=googleproducts&utm_content=BH053&gclid=CPDP2fbql7oCFYuk4Aodv1IA0w.  $14.  Worth it.

As far as what to bathe them in, I have fallen so in love with Earth Mama Angel Baby and am excited to order their baby bathing stuff.  We used mostly Burt's Bees with Walter, and we still do, but I really want to try Earth Mama's.  I'm even going to take the Earth Mama baby wash to the hospital this time around for baby's first bath.

Burp cloths- get a few of these.  There is a lot of baby burping in the beginning, and a lot of spit up too.  I don't know if Walter just had a tendency to overeat or what, but he used to spit up after almost every feeding for a time.  Not projectile vomiting thank goodness, just like the tank was full and overflowed a little.  I don't miss those days.  We had a couple nice burp cloths that we used in public but around the house, we actually had a package of dish rags from Ikea that we used constantly.  Multi-pack, good price, easy to wash and dry.  He also wore a bib at pretty much every feeding too b/c of this.  He would usually spit up/drool on himself- not necessarily when we burped him.  We used tons of bibs- fortunately we were able to get bulk bags cheap at Ikea- they don't have them anymore :(. 

A note on bibs- get a laundry garment/lingerie bag.  Our washer stopped working once and we had a repairman come out.  After taking apart the washing machine, he found a bib clogging it up.  Ever since then I always put the bibs and the baby socks in a garment bag.  (This actually happened once with a dog toy I was washing too!)

Portable Changing pads- I recommend getting about 3 changing pads for the diaper bag (1 at a time.)  I always lay out a changing pad in public.  I got a couple that I like at Ikea, but they no longer have them (again, sorry.)  My mom also got us these: http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/bb-basics-multi-use-pads-set-of-2/115338?Keyword=waterproof+pads, which still come in handy today.  Machine washable, and comfortable/not sticky.

Bottle warmer- never was necessary for us.  JP's mom liked to warm his bottles for him (stove top worked just fine) but we never did.  When he got a bottle, he drank it cold no problem.  Except when we had to thaw frozen milk (we did store it frozen and wouldn't always remember to thaw it in the fridge).  Then we would thaw it on the stove top and it would be slightly warm, but never super warm.

Wipe warmers- definitely a waste of money.  Never once thought it would be something we would use.

Laundry detergent- in the beginning, I was convinced that I needed laundry detergent that said "baby" on it.  We would buy 7th Generation baby laundry detergent.  Then we switched the whole family to Charlie's Soap and decided that the ingredients were so simple and pure that it was just as good, if not better, than any "baby" laundry detergent.  Life is simpler now that I only have to use one type.  And, the bottle lasts forever!  Which is great when you have extra laundry!  

A note on laundry- after your baby shower, and before the baby comes, do all of her new laundry.  Wash every blanket, clothing, toy, whatever you get before baby comes.  It'll be nice to have one less thing to do once you have a new baby to hold.

Jammies- Walter slept in his swaddle every night and didn't really need jammies until he outgrew the swaddle- once they can roll over.  Once he did, footie pajamas were a must until he was over a year old.  Babies don't sleep with blankets so we felt the pajamas needed to cover his feet.  The baby sleep sacks with elastic around the bottom are nice during the daytime around the house as they do make diaper access easy.

Baby bullet- Like I said earlier, the storage containers were perfect for milk storage for the first months.  Once he was ready for something other than milk, we did use ours, and really liked it.  Super easy, super fast, and super cheap alternative to baby food.  Before he was ready for food, Walter went through a phase where he wasn't sleeping as well through the night and we figured out that the milk wasn't filling him up enough.  So we did do "cereals", and other foods to help fill him up before bed.  We didn't make everything though.  We also used these:  http://www.earthsbest.com/node/15.  They were handy for the grandparents too.

High Chair- We use our high chair.  At first we bought a very basic one from Ikea that I thought was cute.  It pulls up to the table and doesn't have a tray.  That one actually works well with Walter now that he's older, but we ended up ordering one with a tray when he was still a baby.  High chairs are great.  It's somewhere to set baby down, strap her in, and prepare the meal/do the dishes/anything else you need to do.  Of course, it isn't really necessary until baby starts eating anything other than milk.  But once they do, I'm not sure how we could do without it!  We use Walter's high chair almost every single day.  If we are home, we all sit at the dinner table for as many meals as possible.  We can now tell him to get in his high chair and we will climb in on his own!  When dining out, we will leave if a restaurant doesn't have a high chair.  When dining out with a young baby, we would leave him in his car seat/carrier- most high chairs can be turned upside down and the carrier will sit on top of it.  Definitely nice to get a car seat that can come in and out of the base easily and be carried into a restaurant without waking the baby.  

Changing table: We love our changing table and use it many, many, many times a day!  At this point I am sure the number of uses of our changing table is in the thousands (babies poop and pee a lot!)  If you want a nice compact, inexpensive changing table, go to Ikea.  Register for the changing pad.  Having baby at that level will save your back.  The changing pad has straps that I used almost all the time.  And you have all of your stuff in one place- diapers, wipes, butt cream, etc.  Get a few covers for the changing pad so that you can replace when one gets dirty.  Also, you can have a Diaper Champ or other brand (we have the Diaper Champ) right next to the changing table to put all those stinky diapers in without taking the trash out every time the baby poops. :)  I also have the laundry basket right there too, since a lot of diaper changes also come with removal of clothing!  We also have a few books/toys at the changing station to distract baby while you do your work.  All-in-all, a changing station is convenient and totally worth having (and doesn't have to be expensive.)

Bumbo- we have one of these, but didn't use it a ton.  His little legs were a bit too chubby for it!  He did practice sitting in it some, and it came in handy for hair cuts.  We used the tray a few times.  I really like the idea of it, and will use it a little with the next one, but it's not an essential.  I guess it would have been more useful if Walter's legs weren't so chubby!

Love the idea of a massage!  Also, I highly recommend chiropractic care!  I had a lot of pain with my sciatic nerve my last pregnancy and chiropractic helped.  I have been keeping it up since and going throughout this pregnancy and so far haven't had sciatica this time around (knock on wood)!  But my chiropractor does take care of other aches and pains that I get and I would be there every day if I could!

My Breast Friend- I mentioned this in my previous post, but since someone mentioned it on FB, I can't help but re-mention it.  I can't recommend this product enough.  http://www.mybrestfriend.com/
I didn't have more than one cover, so I think I will register for another.  I always laid a towel down on my breast friend under baby due to his drooling/spitting up so that I didn't have to remove the cover often.  It's easier to wash a towel/dish rag than remove and wash and line dry the cover.

Boppy- we never got one of these.  They are very popular and seem like they might be nice.  Maybe I'll get one this time around.

I mentioned Earth Mama Angel Baby in previous post, and earlier here, but when it comes to butt cream, I have to mention it again.  http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/angel-baby/angel-baby-bottom-balm.html. Great stuff.  I also use my leftover mama spray on his bottom sometimes.  Definitely get this product for yourself: http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum-recovery/new-mama-bottom-spray.html

Good nursing bra- see previous post.  Go ahead and find one you like now. 

I haven't gotten the nursery ready yet, nor gotten things out of the attic, but I feel like that about covers it.  It may seem like a lot, but really it's not, and most of it is not needed right away.  About the only thing you have to have on day one, is a car seat so that you can bring baby home.  But everything else makes life easier once the little bundle of (crying/pooping/peeing) joy is home :).

I am happy to answer more questions about products, natural birth, breastfeeding, or anything else.  The second time around is so nice knowing what to expect (and not needing to buy anything!) :).

P.S. I just wanted to make one final note. Everyone's experiences are different and every baby is different.  I don't mean to insult anyone or say that their advice is wrong, just because it may be different from mine.  These are just my observations based on my experience of being pregnant, giving birth, and raising a son to 21 months so far.  Take it or leave it.  What works for one person/baby isn't necessarily what's right for everyone.  Also, it's late and this was a lot of typing, so I am not going to edit or proofread what I have written, so I apologize for any imperfections and any ramblings- including this last one :).
 







No comments:

Post a Comment